A few resources for Lucas County gardeners:
Horticulture Hotline, 419-578-6783 email@example.com
Soil Testing - UMass Soil and Plant Nutrient Testing Lab
Northwest Ohio Community Garden Resource Guide
The Facts of Square Foot Gardening, North Dakota State University
Container Vegetable Gardening FactSheet, OSU Extension
VegNet Newsletter weekly, seasonal updates for Ohio growers. Written by the Vegetable and Fruit Crops team, some topics might be of interest to vegetable gardeners.
What's in Season? Chart from Ohio Farm Bureau to show what produce is ready for harvest across the spring, summer and fall months.
How do you enjoy or best access distance learning?
Read (and possibly print) bulletins, articles and factsheets:
- Home Vegetable Gardening, from Ohio State University Extension
- Home Vegetable Gardening in Kentucky (note for Ohio growers, the seasonal calendar dates will be different for different growing zones so don’t follow the dates too closely. The rest of the information in this bulletin offers good details and information applicable to growing in all areas)
- OSU Vegetable and Fruit Gardening FactSheets:
Watch online lessons:
- Tim McDermott, the Agriculture and Natural Resource Educator in Franklin County (central Ohio), is currently publishing a blog on Local Food Production. He has photos, articles, updates and slide shows on different topics including community gardening and container gardening. You are welcome to subscribe to his blog: https://u.osu.edu/growingfranklin/extension-linksinformation/
- Additional information for Lucas County gardeners: if you have general questions about gardening, please utilize the local Horticulture Hotline. If you are interested in online training (similar to what Tim promotes on his blog) feel free to contact Lucas County staff.
- Farming and Gardening with Arthritis and Other Physical Limitations. Laura Akgerman, Disability Services Coordinator: Ohio AgrAbility and OSU Extension go.osu.edu/farmingwithlimitationsapril10
- Ohio AgrAbility has an emphasis on working with farmers but a lot of the information will be useful for gardeners as well. One hour presentation.
Watch short video clips
- Keeping Your Vegetable Garden Healthy: stake tomatoes, remove suckers and look at plants, Pam Bennett, Horticulture Educator with Ohio State University Extension https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4Vcy5ZIdEA&list=PLMI5qG8z0IiwIWYtfQUDWJtSKYCHY_VZH&index=4
- Composting Garden and Lawn Waste, Pam Bennett, Horticulture Educator with Ohio State University Extension https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvg2ZbwePM0&list=PLMI5qG8z0IiwIWYtfQUDWJtSKYCHY_VZH&index=5
Take an online course:
Oregon State University, Master Gardener Series, Vegetable Gardening Course is currently FREE through May 27th at https://workspace.oregonstate.edu/course/master-gardener-series-vegetable-gardening?hsLang=en