Ever feel stress? OSU Extension, Family and Consumer Sciences (FCS) promotes healthy living. Along with topics like healthy eating and exercise, mindfulness is gaining recognition as part of healthy lifestyle in the United States. OSU Extension offers an overview on the science behind the art of mindfulness as well as the health benefits of stress reduction. Utilize some mindful, relaxation tools to live a more mindful, less-stressed and healthier life.
What is mindfulness?
"Mindfulness means paying attention in a particular way: On purpose, in the present moment, and nonjudgmentally" Jon Kabat-Zinn
Want to learn more?
- Introduction to Mindfulness is a one-hour overview presentation on mindfulness. Please contact Patrice Powers-Barker to schedule a program email@example.com
- Mindful Wellness is a series of one-hour lessons on mindfulness. It is designed to be offered to a small group with the expectation that all participants can attend the entire series of 3 - 5 lessons. It can be offered in partnership with a worksite wellness program or with other community sites. Please contact Patrice Powers-Barker to schedule a program firstname.lastname@example.org
- Follow the Live Smart Ohio Mind and Body Blog
- New OSU Extension Fact Sheets 2016
- Read Patrice's mindfulness blogs here:
Free Mindfulness Recordings
The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center recommends mindfulness practice to complement medical treatment to help reduce anxiety, chronic pain, depression, insomnia and stress. Ohio State's Center for Integrative Health and Wellness offers free mindfulness recordings for personal use. Additional guided imagery downloads can be found here.
Remember, just like learning any new skill like cooking, swimming or riding a bike, mindfulness takes time and practice. Consider listening to a download for a few times before you decide it's not for you. Once you've discovered some of your favorite ways to practice mindfulness, keep it up!