Lucas County is pleased to promote a long-time 4H project, the 4-H Mini Garden Project. This project is open to all youth in Lucas County, ages 8-18. We are grateful for the support and donations from local greenhouses in Lucas County.
2023 4H Mini Garden Project brochure with details
2022 Lucas County Junior Fair Entry Form (due to the Lucas County fairgrounds by May 15th)
New to gardening?
- Growing Vegetables in Container Gardens, University of Maine Cooperative Extension https://extension.umaine.edu/publications/2762e/
- Growing Tomatoes in the Home Garden, FactSheet from Ohio State University Extension https://ohioline.osu.edu/factsheet/HYG-1624
- How to Plant, Grow, and Care for Marigolds https://www.almanac.com/plant/marigolds
Specific Questions about your garden? Need help identifying an insect or a growing problem? OSU Extension Lucas County has Master Gardener Volunteers who help with your questions. The Hotline is open April through October on Mondays and Wednesdays, 10am – 1pm. 419-578-6783 or email email@example.com
- If you are in Ohio but outside of Lucas County, your local extension office may be able to help and there is also a statewide hotline at https://go.osu.edu/askmgv
Gardening with youth?
- Kids Gardening is a great resource for creative ideas https://kidsgardening.org/
- The Whole Kids Foundation shares lesson plans on gardening titled, Plants are Needy
- Tomatoes, a two-page handout with fast facts and activity ideas https://www.azed.gov/sites/default/files/2020/11/FFVP_Tomato%20Handout.pdf
- Tomato trading card - facts and info
Tomato nutrition information and easy recipes:
- Nutrition and You…Tomatoes
- Michigan Harvest of the Month, Featured Vegetable: Tomatoes. One-page handout, available in English, Spanish and Arabic.
- English https://snap-ed.michiganfitness.org/wp-content/uploads/tomatoes-family-newsletter-2016.pdf
- Spanish https://snap-ed.michiganfitness.org/wp-content/uploads/tomatoes-family-newsletter-2013-spanish.pdf
- Arabic https://snap-ed.michiganfitness.org/wp-content/uploads/tomatoes-family-newsletter-2013-arabic.pdf