NEW 2020: The State Home Food Preservation team is hosting an online class and open time for questions and answers during summer 2020. This is free but you must preregister for each session. You are welcome to attend one or all. The links for each session are below. They are offered every other Tuesday from 4-5pm. Once you preregister for the class, you will receive an email with details to attend the online class.
The presentations will be recorded and posted for those who could not attend live. All recordings will be posted at https://go.osu.edu/FoodPreservationOfficeHoursRecordings after the event.
- Tuesday, June 2nd: Jams and Jellies, register at https://go.osu.edu/jamsandjellies
- Tuesday, June 16th: Canning & Freezing Vegetables, register at https://go.osu.edu/canningfreezingvegetables
- Tuesday, June 30th: Canning & Freezing Fruit register at https://go.osu.edu/canningfreezingfruits
- Tuesday, July 14th: Pickles, register at https://go.osu.edu/pickles
- Tuesday, July 28th: Salsa, register at https://go.osu.edu/makingsalsa
Interested in watching "how to" can and freeze or any of the recorded 2020 sessions? Please visit Ohio State University Extension Home Food Preservation page https://fcs.osu.edu/programs/major-program-areas/healthy-people/food-preservation
LUCAS COUNTY INFORMATION: due to COVID-19 currently we are not testing pressure canner gauges. As soon as we are, it will be updated here as well as shared on our Facebook Page @OSUExtensionLucasCounty). OSU Extension, Lucas County offers pressure canner gauge testing. Please contact Patrice for an appointment at firstname.lastname@example.org or 419-574-0983 Appointments will be scheduled. Please email or call in advance to schedule a day and time.
OSU Extension Food Preservation Resources (2 page handout) - includes list of food preservation industry contacts for equipment, ingredients and other supplies. This handout is used at all OSU Extension Home Food Preservation classes in Lucas County.
- USDA Complete Guide to Home Canning, revised 2015
- So Easy to Preserve by Andress and Harrison, University of Georgia Extension Service, Sixth Edition, 2014 - to order the book online
Fact Sheets: To find directions and recipes for canning, freezing or drying foods, visit OSU Extension's website ohioline.osu.edu and click on "FOOD". Here is a sample of Fact Sheets that you will find on ohioline.
- What To Do When Your Freezer Stops, HYG-5357-15
- Freezer Storage, HYG-5402-15
- Freezing Cooked Foods, HYG-5308-15
- Freezing Fruits, HYG-5349-15
- Preserving Uncooked Jams and Jellies, HYG-5348-15
- Freezing Vegetables, HYG-5333-15
- Freezing Meat, Poultry and Game, HYG-5334-15
- Canning Basics, HYG-5338-15
- Basics for Canning Vegetables, HYG-5344-15
- Basics for Canning Fruit, HYG-5343-15
- Jams, Jellies and Other Fruit Spreads, HYG-5350-15
- Canning Tomatoes, HYG-5336-15
- Canning Tomato Products, HYG-5337-15
- Salsa: From Garden to Table, HYG-5339-15
- Canning Meat, Poultry and Game, HYG-5330-15